Tiramisu, a legendary Italian dessert, is comprised of savory layers of ladyfingers basked in an intoxicating mixture of coffee and rum, culminating in a decadent topping of mascarpone cheese, eggs, sugar, and cocoa powder. However, not everyone can bask in its glory, especially those with dietary restrictions such as vegans and those intolerant to lactose. But fear not, for there exists a magnificent alternative that embodies the classic taste and texture – enter vegan tiramisu silken tofu.
Silken tofu, with its velvety texture and smooth creaminess, proves to be the ideal replacement for mascarpone cheese in this recipe. When blended with vegan cream cheese, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and powdered sugar, silken tofu forms a mixture that mimics the creamy essence of traditional tiramisu. (You can also try a Vegan Mascarpone using cashews, which can then be used in Vegan Tiramisu with Vegan Mascarpone)
(For some other Vegan Tiramisu ideas, try:
- Vegan Tiramisu Recipes
- Best Vegan Tiramisu
- Vegan Tiramisu with Coconut Cream
- Vegan Tiramisu (No Tofu)
To whip up a batch of this vegan delight, you’ll require the following ingredients: silken tofu (1 lb), vegan cream cheese (1 cup), powdered sugar (1/2 cup), vanilla extract (2 tsp), lemon juice (1 tsp), brewed espresso or strong coffee (2 cups), rum or coffee liqueur (3 tbsp), cocoa powder (3 tbsp), and vegan ladyfingers or sponge cake (1 package). (See Vegan Ladyfingers Recipe for a recipe)
Begin the culinary journey by pureeing the silken tofu in a blender or food processor until it attains a smooth texture. Next, mix together the vegan cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon juice until uniform. Combine the tofu puree and cream cheese mixture, stirring until well combined.
In a shallow dish, mix together the brewed espresso or coffee and rum or coffee liqueur. Soak each ladyfinger or sponge cake for a few seconds on each side, taking care not to over-soak. Arrange half of the ladyfingers or sponge cake in an 8-inch square baking dish, spreading half of the tofu mixture over it. Repeat with another layer of soaked ladyfingers or sponge cake and tofu mixture.
After refrigerating for at least 2 hours or until set, dust the top with cocoa powder before serving. This vegan tiramisu silken tofu is the perfect dessert for special occasions, parties, or even as a sweet treat after dinner, offering a dairy-free and vegan option while retaining the classic flavor and texture of traditional tiramisu.
Overall, vegan tiramisu silken tofu is a delectable and creamy dessert that’s a must-try for vegans and those with lactose intolerance. With readily available ingredients and simple preparation, it’s a dessert that both seasoned chefs and beginner cooks can enjoy. (See also, Vegan Tiramisu Biscuits and Vegan Tiramisu Cheesecake for some other Vegan Tiramisu Recipes.)
So, indulge in the sweet and satisfying taste of this delicious dessert and savor its creamy essence!
Vegan Tiramisu (Silken Tofu)
- 1 lb Silken Tofu
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cups brewed espresso or strong coffee
- 3 tbsp rum or coffee liqueur
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 package vegan ladyfingers or sponge cake
- In a blender or food processor, puree the silken tofu until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the vegan cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon juice until smooth.
- Combine the tofu puree and cream cheese mixture, stirring until well combined.
- In a shallow dish, mix together the brewed espresso or coffee and rum or coffee liqueur.
- Dip each ladyfinger or piece of sponge cake into the coffee mixture for a few seconds on each side, making sure not to soak them for too long.
- Arrange half of the ladyfingers or sponge cake in the bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Spread half of the tofu mixture evenly over the ladyfingers or sponge cake.
- Repeat with another layer of soaked ladyfingers or sponge cake and tofu mixture.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until set.
- Dust the top with cocoa powder before serving.
Lance has been passionate about the plant-based diet and we have been following a whole food plant-based diet for over 5 years. We focus on health, natural healing, weight management, animal rights, and the health of the planet and environment by focusing on whole plant-based foods and sustainable practices.
Learn more at the About Me page and follow on social media at the links below.