As an enthusiast of homemade liqueurs, Damson Plum Liqueur holds a special place in my heart. This enticing drink is created using small, tart plums that are readily available during the warm summer months. The combination of these plums with the right blend of spices and alcohol results in a liqueur that is both delicious and multi-functional.
The steps to make Damson Plum Liqueur are simple. I start by washing and removing the pits from the plums, placing them in a clean, sterilized glass jar. (Learn more about the Damson Plum)
Next, I blend together sugar, water, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg in a saucepan until the sugar has dissolved. Once cooled, this mixture is added to the jar along with vodka and vanilla extract, creating the perfect base for the liqueur. I then seal the jar tightly and store it in a cool and dark place for at least two weeks, shaking it regularly to mix the ingredients.
After two weeks, I strain the mixture through cheesecloth to eliminate any solids, transferring the liqueur to clean, sterilized bottles. I store these bottles in a cool, dark place, ready to be enjoyed.
Damson Plum Liqueur adds a special touch to cocktails with its unique and mouth-watering flavor. It’s also perfect over ice or as a topping for desserts. Its deep purple color is striking, and its taste is a harmonious balance of sweet and tart.
Making my own Damson Plum Liqueur is a delightful way to take advantage of the summer’s bounty. I always receive compliments from friends and family when serving this liqueur, and they’re often surprised to learn that I made it myself. The process is effortless, yet rewarding, and the end product is a versatile and delicious liqueur that can be enjoyed in many different ways.
If you’re searching for a fun and tasty DIY project, I highly recommend giving Damson Plum Liqueur a try. You won’t regret it!
Damson Plum Liqueur
- 1 1/2 pounds of damson plums
- 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of premium vodka
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Wash and pit the damson plums and place them in a large, sterilized glass jar.
- In a saucepan, heat the sugar, water, cinnamon stick, cloves, and nutmeg over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, remove the saucepan from heat and let the mixture cool.
- Add the mixture to the jar with the plums, along with the vodka and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Close the jar tightly and store it in a cool, dark place for at least 2 weeks. Shake the jar every few days to redistribute the ingredients.
- After 2 weeks, strain the mixture through a cheesecloth to remove any solids.
- Transfer the liqueur to sterilized bottles and store them in a cool, dark place.
Lance has been passionate about the plant-based diet and we have been following a whole food plant-based diet for over 5 years. We focus on health, natural healing, weight management, animal rights, and the health of the planet and environment by focusing on whole plant-based foods and sustainable practices.
Learn more at the About Me page and follow on social media at the links below.