Damson plum crumble with oats, a classic British dessert, offers a harmonious blend of flavors and textures. The tartness of damson plums perfectly complements the crumbly oat-based topping. (See What is Damson?) Perfect for a cozy winter night, this dessert is both comforting and satisfying.
(For some other related recipes, see Damson Recipes or try any of these:
To make the damson filling, gather 2 cups of pitted and halved fresh or frozen damson plums. If you can’t find damsons, any type of plum, such as Victorias, will work, though the flavor may differ. Combine the plums with 1/4 cup of sugar, 1 tsp of cornstarch, and 1 tsp of vanilla extract in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until tender and thickened. The cornstarch thickens the mixture and the vanilla adds depth.
For the crumble topping, mix 1 cup of flour, 1/2 cup of oats, 1/2 cup of light brown sugar, 1/2 cup of cubed cold unsalted butter, and 1 tsp of ground cinnamon (optional) in a large mixing bowl. Incorporate the butter into the dry ingredients with your hands or a pastry cutter until it forms coarse crumbs. The oats add crunch and nuttiness.
Once the filling and topping are prepared, place the cooked damson mixture in a 9×9 inch baking dish and sprinkle the crumble mixture on top. Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream for a balanced blend of flavors and textures.
This recipe is versatile and can easily be adapted to suit dietary needs. Use gluten-free flour and oats for a gluten-free option, vegan butter or coconut oil for a vegan option, and reduce the sugar for a lower sugar option.
Overall, damson crumble with oats is a simple, yet delicious dessert that is perfect for any occasion. Whether it’s a cozy treat on a winter night or a dinner party dessert, it’s sure to please a crowd. The sweet and tart damson plums with the crumbly oat topping create a dessert that is hard to resist.
Damson Plum Crumble with Oats
- 2 cups fresh or frozen damson plums pitted and halved
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cold and cubed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon optional
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the damson plums, granulated sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla extract. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens and the plums are tender, about 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon (if using). Use your hands or a pastry cutter to rub the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour the cooked damson mixture into a 9×9 inch baking dish. Sprinkle the crumble mixture evenly over the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
Lance has been passionate about the plant-based diet and we have been following a whole food plant-based diet for over 5 years. We focus on health, natural healing, weight management, animal rights, and the health of the planet and environment by focusing on whole plant-based foods and sustainable practices.
Learn more at the About Me page and follow on social media at the links below.