Here is a heart-healthy overnight oats recipe that you can prepare ahead of time and enjoy for breakfast. This recipe is high in protein, fiber, and healthy fats, making it a nourishing and satisfying breakfast option. The chia seeds and berries also provide antioxidants and other nutrients that can support heart health.
Are Overnight Oats Good for the Heart?
Overnight oats can be a heart-healthy breakfast option if they are prepared with wholesome ingredients. Oats are a good source of fiber, which can help lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Chia seeds, which are often added to overnight oats, are also high in fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, which can support heart health. In addition, adding fresh berries to your overnight oats provides antioxidants and other nutrients that can benefit the heart.
However, it’s important to avoid adding too much sugar or other unhealthy ingredients to your oats, as these can negate the potential heart-healthy benefits.
Are Overnight Oats Good for Cholesterol?
Overnight oats can be a good option for managing cholesterol levels if they are prepared with wholesome ingredients.
Oats are a rich source of soluble fiber, which can help lower cholesterol levels by binding to cholesterol in the digestive tract and removing it from the body. In addition, chia seeds, which are often added to overnight oats, are also high in fiber and can help lower cholesterol levels.
However, it’s important to avoid adding too much sugar or other unhealthy ingredients to your oats, as these can negate the potential cholesterol-lowering benefits. It’s also important to eat a balanced heart-healthy plant-based diet and engage in regular physical activity to support overall heart health.
Heart-Healthy Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk You can also use any plant-based milk, such as soy milk or coconut milk
- 1/4 cup plant-based yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup fresh berries such as strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the oats, almond milk, plant-based yogurt, chia seeds, honey, and vanilla extract. Stir until well combined.1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/4 cup plant-based yogurt, 1 tablespoon chia seeds, 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the fresh berries and stir gently to combine.1/2 cup fresh berries
- Transfer the mixture to a jar or container with a tight-fitting lid and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, give the oats a quick stir and enjoy cold or heated up in the microwave.
Lance has been passionate about the plant-based diet and we have been following a whole food plant-based diet for over 5 years. We focus on health, natural healing, weight management, animal rights, and the health of the planet and environment by focusing on whole plant-based foods and sustainable practices.
Learn more at the About Me page and follow on social media at the links below.