The Damson and Apple Crumble, a classic winter dessert, tantalizes taste buds with its sweet and tangy balance of flavors. Tiny, dark purple Damson plums, or damascene plums, with their slightly bitter tanginess, create an irresistible taste. Not only that, they’re packed with Vitamin C and antioxidants!
Apples, with their delicate sweetness, complement the Damson plums perfectly. They also offer an ample amount of fiber and Vitamin C.
(For some other damson or apple recipe ideas, see:
- Damson and Apple Recipes
- Apple and Damson Chutney Recipe
- Damson and Apple Jam
- Damson Crumble with Oats Recipe
- Easy Damson Crumble)
The crumble topping, a combination of flour, oats, brown sugar, butter, and salt, offers a delightful contrast with its crispy, buttery texture. The brown sugar adds a touch of sweetness, while the butter provides a rich flavor, and the oats add a satisfying crunch. The flour acts as a binding agent to hold everything together.
The fruit mixture, created with Damson plums, apples, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla extract, and cinnamon, features a mix of sweet and warm flavors. Sugar sweetens the fruit, while the cornstarch thickens the juices released during baking. Vanilla extract contributes a subtle sweetness and the cinnamon adds a comforting warmth.
The recipe is easy to customize to your liking, such as adding a tablespoon of lemon juice for extra tang or replacing the Damson plums and apples with apricots or berries. And it’s a convenient treat too, as it can be made ahead of time and reheated for a quick dessert. Simply store the fruit mixture and crumble topping in the refrigerator and assemble in a baking dish when ready to bake.
Damson and Apple Crumble can be served warm or at room temperature, making it the perfect finale to a meal. Serve it plain or add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for a decadent finish. And the best part? It’s relatively healthy, as the fruit and oats in the recipe offer vitamins and antioxidants, allowing you to enjoy a sweet treat without feeling guilty.
Overall, Damson and Apple Crumble is a classic and comforting winter dessert, with its combination of sweet and tangy flavors, crunchy and buttery crumble topping, and easy customizability. Indulge in this delightful dessert, warm or at room temperature, on its own or with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream.
Damson and Apple Crumble Recipe
- 2 cups of Damson plums pitted and halved
- 2 cups of peeled and diced apples
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter chilled and cut into small pieces. (Use coconut oil or butter substitute for vegan)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease an 8×8 inch baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the damson plums, apples, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla extract (if using) and ground cinnamon. Toss well to combine.
- Transfer the fruit mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, butter, and salt. Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the fruit mixture in the baking dish.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling.
Lance has been passionate about the plant-based diet and we have been following a whole food plant-based diet for over 5 years. We focus on health, natural healing, weight management, animal rights, and the health of the planet and environment by focusing on whole plant-based foods and sustainable practices.
Learn more at the About Me page and follow on social media at the links below.