The beauty of Damson Tarte Tatin lies in its simplicity. With only a few ingredients, you can create a taste experience like no other. Fresh damsons, sugar, butter, and a pre-made puff pastry are all you need to whip up this delicious dessert. Caramelize the sugar and butter in a skillet, add the damsons and cover with the puff pastry, then bake until golden brown and the damsons are soft and juicy. (See also Spiced Plum Tarte Tatin and Damson Plum Tart Recipe)
Start by washing and pitting the damsons, then slicing them into halves or quarters. You can also add other fruit to the mixture for added flavor, such as plums or apples. In a heavy-bottomed skillet, melt the sugar and butter over medium heat until it becomes a golden caramel. Add the sliced damsons and cook for 10 minutes, until they’ve softened and the juices have thickened slightly.
Place a round of puff pastry on top of the damson mixture and tuck the edges down the sides of the pan. Cut a few slits in the top to release steam. Bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown. Let it cool for a few minutes, then invert it onto a serving platter.
Enjoy Damson Tarte Tatin warm or at room temperature with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The balance of textures and tastes will satisfy any sweet tooth. This summertime favorite is made with seasonal damson plums, also known as yellow egg plums, that release their sweet and tangy juices when cooked in caramelized sugar.
Get creative with your Damson Tarte Tatin by adding chopped almonds or pecans for a nuttier flavor or using different fruit such as apples or pears for a different flavor profile. You can even make individual tarte tatins using mini cast iron skillets or muffin tins.
So, Damson Tarte Tatin is a classic French dessert that’s easy to make, delicious, and versatile. Its combination of tangy and sweet flavors, along with its flaky and buttery pastry, makes it a perfect choice for any special occasion or dinner party. So why not try this timeless classic today?
Damson Tarte Tatin
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 lb fresh damsons pitted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, melt sugar and butter over medium heat. Stir continuously until sugar has dissolved and the mixture has turned a caramel color.
- Arrange the damsons, cut side up, in a single layer in the skillet on top of the caramel mixture. Sprinkle with vanilla extract.
- Roll the puff pastry sheet out to fit the diameter of the skillet and place it over the damsons. Tuck the edges of the pastry into the skillet.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Place a large plate over the skillet and carefully invert the tarte tatin onto the plate, so that the caramel and fruit are on top.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a drizzle of crème anglaise.
Lance has been passionate about the plant-based diet and we have been following a whole food plant-based diet for over 5 years. We focus on health, natural healing, weight management, animal rights, and the health of the planet and environment by focusing on whole plant-based foods and sustainable practices.
Learn more at the About Me page and follow on social media at the links below.