Damson plum pie is a classic dessert, perfect for the cooler months of fall and winter. The succulent, flavorful damson plums create a sweet and tangy filling that’s nestled inside a flaky, buttery crust, making it a comfort food par excellence. (See Damson Recipes for more great ideas)
Damson plums, also known as damascene, are small and dark purple with a tart and slightly bitter flavor, making them ideal for use in desserts. They are also a nutritious choice, containing high levels of vitamin C and antioxidants.
(Explore other Damson Plum Dessert Recipes, such as these:
Making this pie requires a double pie crust, damson plums, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and salt. After peeling and pitting the plums, mix them with the other ingredients to create the filling. Pour the mixture into the bottom crust, add the top crust, and bake in a preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Remember to cover the edges with foil if they start to brown too much. The pie can be served warm or at room temperature.
Not only is damson pie delicious, it’s also healthy. The plums provide vitamins and antioxidants, and the butter in the crust contains healthy fats. Plus, it’s a convenient option, as it can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator.
This pie is a great option for those who enjoy baking and want to try something new. It’s easy to make and versatile, and can be enjoyed on its own or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. So why not give damson pie a go today and savor its sweet and tangy flavors, perfect for a chilly autumn or winter day?
Damson Pie Recipe
- 2 cups of damson plums pitted and halved
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter chilled and cut into small pieces
- 2-3 tablespoons ice water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg beaten (for egg wash)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and sugar.
- Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing until the dough comes together in a ball.
- Divide the dough in half, wrap each half in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the damson plums, cornstarch, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice.
- Roll out one half of the chilled dough on a lightly floured surface to fit a 9-inch pie dish.
- Transfer the dough to the pie dish, and trim the edges.
- Pour the damson mixture into the pie dish, spreading it evenly.
- Roll out the remaining dough and cut into 1/2-inch strips.
- Place the strips on top of the damson mixture in a lattice pattern.
- Brush the top of the pie with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Let the pie cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Lance has been passionate about the plant-based diet and we have been following a whole food plant-based diet for over 5 years. We focus on health, natural healing, weight management, animal rights, and the health of the planet and environment by focusing on whole plant-based foods and sustainable practices.
Learn more at the About Me page and follow on social media at the links below.