Vegan chia seed pancakes are a delicious and healthier alternative to traditional pancakes made with eggs and dairy. They are made with a mixture of all-purpose flour, chia seeds, baking powder, and plant-based milk, and can be flavored with vanilla extract and maple syrup for added sweetness.
To make vegan chia seed pancakes, you will need to mix the chia seeds and plant-based milk together in a small bowl and let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes until it forms a gel-like consistency. This will serve as a binding agent in place of eggs (also known as a chia egg). Then, you can mix the chia seed mixture with the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and stir until well combined.
The pancake batter can then be spooned onto a hot non-stick pan and cooked for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Vegan chia seed pancakes can be served hot with a variety of toppings, such as maple syrup, fruit, or vegan butter.
In addition to being vegan, chia seed pancakes are also a good source of fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, which can be beneficial for overall health. Chia seeds are a type of plant seed that are high in nutrients and offer a range of health benefits. They are a good source of fiber, with about 11 grams per ounce, which can help to support digestive health and prevent constipation. Chia seeds are also high in omega-3 fatty acids, with about 5 grams per ounce, which can help to support heart health and reduce inflammation in the body. (See Chia Seed Benefits)
Chia seeds are also a good source of plant-based protein, with about 4 grams per ounce. They are also high in antioxidants, which can help to protect the body against free radical damage and reduce the risk of certain diseases. Chia seeds are also rich in vitamins and minerals, including calcium, magnesium, and zinc.
In addition to their use as a vegan egg replacement in pancake batter, chia seeds can also be used in a variety of other dishes and recipes. They can be added to smoothies, oatmeal, yogurt, and baked goods to boost the nutritional content and add texture. (See Ways to Eat Chia Seeds)
Chia seeds can also be used to make chia seed pudding, which is a simple and delicious snack or dessert made by mixing chia seeds with milk and sweetener and allowing it to sit in the refrigerator until it forms a gel-like consistency.
If you’re looking for a delicious and healthy vegan pancake option, chia seed pancakes are a great choice. They are easy to make and can be customized with your favorite toppings and flavors. Plus, they offer a range of health benefits thanks to their high fiber and omega-3 content. So next time you’re in the mood for pancakes, give vegan chia seed pancakes a try and enjoy the tasty and nutritious benefits.
Vegan Chia Seed Pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup optional
- a pinch of salt
- In a small bowl, mix together the chia seeds and plant-based milk. Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes until it forms a gel-like consistency.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the chia seed mixture, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract, and maple syrup (if using) to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Once hot, spoon 1/4 cup of the pancake batter onto the pan for each pancake.
- Cook the pancakes for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve the pancakes hot with your choice of toppings, such as maple syrup, fruit, or vegan butter.
Lance has been passionate about the plant-based diet and we have been following a whole food plant-based diet for over 5 years. We focus on health, natural healing, weight management, animal rights, and the health of the planet and environment by focusing on whole plant-based foods and sustainable practices.
Learn more about the author and this site at the About Me Page and follow us on social media at the links below.