Collard greens are a nutritious leafy green vegetable that can be used in a variety of dishes, including Indian recipes. Here is a simple recipe for Indian-style collard greens:
Indian-Style Collard Greens
- 1 bunch collard greens stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup water
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and cook until they start to pop.1 teaspoon mustard seeds, 1 tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Add the onion, ginger, and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent.1 medium onion, 1 tablespoon grated ginger, 2 cloves garlic
- Stir in the turmeric and garam masala and cook for another minute.1 teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Add the collard greens and stir to coat them with the spice mixture.1 bunch collard greens
- Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the collard greens are tender.1 cup water
- Season with salt to taste and serve hot.Salt
What are Collard Greens Called in India?
Collard greens are not commonly used in Indian cuisine and do not have a specific name in the local languages. They are a leafy green vegetable native to the eastern Mediterranean region and are not commonly grown or consumed in India.
However, there are many other leafy green vegetables that are commonly used in Indian cuisine, such as spinach (called “palak” in Hindi), mustard greens (called “sarson” in Hindi), and amaranth leaves (called “chaulai” in Hindi). These leafy green vegetables are often used in a variety of dishes, including curries, stews, and sautés.
If you are interested in incorporating leafy green vegetables into your Indian cooking, you may want to try using one of these more commonly used greens or experimenting with other leafy green vegetables that are available in your area. It’s always a good idea to include a variety of vegetables in your diet to ensure that you are getting a range of nutrients.
Lance has been passionate about the plant-based diet and we have been following a whole food plant-based diet for over 5 years. We focus on health, natural healing, weight management, animal rights, and the health of the planet and environment by focusing on whole plant-based foods and sustainable practices.
Learn more about the author and this site at the About Me Page and follow us on social media at the links below.