The Spiced Plum Tarte Tatin is a timeless French dessert that has captivated the taste buds of many for generations. It’s a type of upside-down tart that is made by arranging the fruit on the bottom of a pan, topped with pastry, then baked to perfection. This delectable treat is created with plums, sugar, butter, spices, and puff pastry. (See also Damson Plum Tarte Tatin Recipe and Damson Plum Tart Recipe)
The Tarte Tatin’s history can be traced back to the late 1800s when the Tatin sisters, who ran a hotel and restaurant in the Loire Valley region of France, invented it. Legend has it that Stéphanie Tatin was making an apple tart when she overcooked the apples and didn’t have time to make a crust. In a hurry, she placed the pastry over the apples and baked it. Thus, the Tarte Tatin was born.
Nowadays, this dessert is made with a variety of fruits, including apples, peaches, and pears, but plums are especially popular in the autumn when they’re in season. Plums have a natural sweetness and delicate flavor that is elevated by the spices and sugar in the recipe. Cinnamon, ginger, and vanilla extract add complexity to the dish.
Using high-quality puff pastry is key to making a successful Tarte Tatin. It should be flaky, buttery, and light, which will add texture and flavor. If you want to make it from scratch, go ahead, but a store-bought sheet is a convenient alternative. The plums should be ripe but still firm; too ripe and they’ll turn mushy, too firm and they won’t cook properly.
The sugar and butter create a caramel sauce that coats the plums and provides the Tarte Tatin’s signature sweetness. The spices and vanilla extract enhance the flavor. It’s essential to stir the sugar and butter constantly as they melt so they don’t burn, and cook the plums until they’re slightly softened but still hold their shape. Cornstarch is added to the caramel sauce to thicken it. If it’s too thick, add a bit of water to thin it out.
Once the plums are arranged in the skillet and the sauce is thickened, it’s time to add the puff pastry. Roll it out to be 1/4 inch thick and 2 inches larger than the skillet, then tuck in the edges so it doesn’t slip as it bakes. Bake the Tarte Tatin in a preheated oven at 400°F for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden brown. Let it cool for 10 minutes before inverting it onto a serving plate to let the caramel sauce set and the Tarte Tatin hold its shape.
Serve the Spiced Plum Tarte Tatin with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, or simply on its own. It’s a simple and delicious dessert that’s perfect for special occasions or cozy nights in. Impress your friends and family with its tender plums, sweet caramel sauce, and flaky puff pastry. Why not make this classic French dessert a tradition in your kitchen?
Spiced Plum Tarte Tatin Recipe
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry thawed
- 4-5 medium plums pitted and cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a 10-inch oven-safe skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Stir in the sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, ginger, and salt until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the plums to the skillet, arranging them in a single layer, cut side down.
- Sprinkle the cornstarch over the plums and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the plums are slightly softened and the sauce has thickened.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface until it’s about 1/4 inch thick and about 2 inches larger than the skillet.
- Place the puff pastry over the plums, tucking in the edges around the edges of the skillet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Place a serving plate over the skillet and carefully invert the tarte tatin onto the plate.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired. Enjoy!
Lance has been passionate about the plant-based diet and we have been following a whole food plant-based diet for over 5 years. We focus on health, natural healing, weight management, animal rights, and the health of the planet and environment by focusing on whole plant-based foods and sustainable practices.
Learn more at the About Me page and follow on social media at the links below.