I’ve been eating the same whole food plant-based and vegan breakfast almost every morning for years now. I think it’s extremely healthy, and it’s something that I came up with slowly over the years, adding things to it here and there, till I have what I have now.
It’s an oatmeal-based breakfast bowl. It has tons of fiber as well as antioxidants, nutrients, plant-based protein, superfoods, and more. You can prepare many of the ingredients ahead of time to put together fairly quickly in the morning, as a plant-based alternative to a fast-food breakfast.
The good thing is this is a high fiber plant-based breakfast. The high amount of fiber makes this a great plant-based breakfast idea for weight loss as well.
Another good thing is it high in plant-based omega-3s and is one of the ways I get my plant-based omega-3s each day. (See How I Get My Plant-Based Omega-3 Fatty Acids! to learn more)
It has a decent amount of ingredients, so feel free to add or subtract as you see fit, in order to get the nutrition you are looking for or a particular taste.
Super Healthy Whole Food Plant-Based Breakfast Oatmeal
- 1 Microwave or Stove (You can also do overnight oats if needed. These have no need of a microwave or stove)
- 1/2 cup Oatmeal You can choose what kind of oatmeal you like and your preferred cooking method. I do old fashioned oats and cook them in the microwave with water.
- 1 cup Water or Plant-based Milk This is just used for cooking the oatmeal. This is your choice.
- 1 tbsp Chia Seeds (Ground or Soaked) You can add more chia seeds if you like
- 1.5 tbsp Flax Seeds (Ground) Make sure the flax seeds are ground up for max absorption
- 3 tbsp Hemp Seeds
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Cacao Powder Try to get pure cacao powder. This is healthier than cocoa.
- 1 ounce Walnuts, Almonds, or Pecans This could be a nut of your choice. Peanuts are another option. Omit if you have any nut allergy.
- 1 tbsp Honey or Syrup Omit the honey or use syrup instead if you are a vegan who avoids honey
- 2-4 ounces Plant-based Milk This is optional and just to add some moisture to the oatmeal bowl if needed
- Blueberries, Strawberries or fruit of choice
- 1 Banana, Mango, or Pineapple You can add sliced banana if you like
- 1 pinch Salt
- 10-15 Raisins These are optional and give the oatmeal some extra flavor and natural sweetness.
- ¼ cup Coconut Cream (Optional)
- Cook oatmeal however you normally cook your oatmeal. I use old-fashioned oats and cook them in the microwave with water. I find this the easiest and fastest. Some people cook over the stove.
- Add chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds, walnuts, honey, cinnamon, cacao, and salt to cooked oatmeal. Stir and mix together. Feel free to add some plant-based milk like soy milk if you feel it is too dry and would like it to be creamier. Another option is to add coconut cream.
- Top with fruit of choice. We used to use just blueberries. Now we do a mix of blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries. I will also add a sliced-up banana on top, as well as a little bit of tropical fruit such as either mango or pineapple. Another healthy option is acai powder sprinkled on top. Sometimes we will add pumpkin puree as well.