I’ve been eating the same whole food plant-based and vegan breakfast almost every morning for years now. I think it’s extremely healthy, and it’s something that I came up with slowly over the years, adding things to it here and there, till I have what I have now.
It’s an oatmeal-based breakfast bowl. It has tons of fiber as well as antioxidants, nutrients, plant-based protein, superfoods, and more. You can prepare many of the ingredients ahead of time to put together fairly quickly in the morning, as a plant-based alternative to a fast-food breakfast.
The good thing is this is a high fiber plant-based breakfast. The high amount of fiber makes this a great plant-based breakfast idea for weight loss as well.
Another good thing is it high in plant-based omega-3s and is one of the ways I get my plant-based omega-3s each day. (See How I Get My Plant-Based Omega-3 Fatty Acids! to learn more)
This comes from some awesome plant-based foods such as chia seeds, flax seeds and hemp seeds. (Nuts and seeds can be a great source)
It has a decent amount of ingredients, so feel free to add or subtract as you see fit, in order to get the nutrition you are looking for or a particular taste.
Super Healthy Whole Food Plant-Based Breakfast Oatmeal
- 1 Microwave or Stove (You can also do overnight oats if needed. These have no need of a microwave or stove)
- 1/2 cup Oatmeal You can choose what kind of oatmeal you like and your preferred cooking method. I do old fashioned oats and cook them in the microwave with water.
- 1 cup Water or Plant-based Milk This is just used for cooking the oatmeal. This is your choice.
- 1 tbsp Chia Seeds (Ground or Soaked) You can add more chia seeds if you like
- 1.5 tbsp Flax Seeds (Ground) Make sure the flax seeds are ground up for max absorption
- 3 tbsp Hemp Seeds
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Cacao Powder Try to get pure cacao powder. This is healthier than cocoa.
- 1 ounce Walnuts, Almonds, or Pecans This could be a nut of your choice. Peanuts are another option. Omit if you have any nut allergy.
- 1 tbsp Honey or Syrup Omit the honey or use syrup instead if you are a vegan who avoids honey
- 2-4 ounces Plant-based Milk This is optional and just to add some moisture to the oatmeal bowl if needed
- Blueberries, Strawberries or fruit of choice
- 1 Banana, Mango, or Pineapple You can add sliced banana if you like
- 1 pinch Salt
- 10-15 Raisins These are optional and give the oatmeal some extra flavor and natural sweetness.
- ¼ cup Coconut Cream (Optional)
- Cook oatmeal however you normally cook your oatmeal. I use old-fashioned oats and cook them in the microwave with water. I find this the easiest and fastest. Some people cook over the stove.
- Add chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds, walnuts, honey, cinnamon, cacao, and salt to cooked oatmeal. Stir and mix together. Feel free to add some plant-based milk like soy milk if you feel it is too dry and would like it to be creamier. Another option is to add coconut cream.
- Top with fruit of choice. We used to use just blueberries. Now we do a mix of blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries. I will also add a sliced-up banana on top, as well as a little bit of tropical fruit such as either mango or pineapple. Another healthy option is acai powder sprinkled on top. Sometimes we will add pumpkin puree as well.
Lance has been passionate about the plant-based diet and we have been following a whole food plant-based diet for over 5 years. We focus on health, natural healing, weight management, animal rights, and the health of the planet and environment by focusing on whole plant-based foods and sustainable practices.
Learn more at the About Me page and follow on social media at the links below.
1 thought on “My Healthy Whole Food Plant-Based (& Vegan) Breakfast Oatmeal Bowl”
I love this recipe and eat it every morning. Have you tried it or have any comments? Please leave them below!