In this post, I want to share with you some Breakfast foods that start with E, and we will look at their nutritional value as well.
The beginning of the list will be more common foods, and the last half of the list are less known foods such as certain fruits that could be eaten raw for breakfast or made into jams to go on toast.
Let’s have a look at the Breakfast foods beginning with the letter E.
Breakfast Foods that Start with E
Although we tend to be gluten-free, and I think there is a better breakfast bread options than just English muffins, this is a good choice for having a nice plant-based food for your breakfast meal.
Just be aware that most bread products such as English Muffins can be highly processed. This is why I prefer Ezekiel bread. But, English Muffins are still a better option than animal-based foods.
Ezekiel Bread is a great option as a breakfast food. You can get the regular plain bread flavor and eat it as toast. Or, you could go with the cinnamon raisin flavor and eat that as toast as well. I think the cinnamon raisin flavor option is a great breakfast choice.
The good thing about Ezekiel Bread is that it is not processed like most conventional bread. It does not contain flour, and the grains are always sprouted. This makes Ezekiel bread healthier and also easier to digest.
Even though it does have gluten, it is not a typical wheat flour gluten product that most processed foods are. My wife has trouble with regular gluten but does fine with Ezekiel bread. It does have gluten, but it is processed differently and in a much healthier and more natural way.
English Walnuts is the name for the standard walnuts that we commonly see. These are super nutritious and can be great to go on a healthy oatmeal bowl for breakfast. Here are some of the benefits of English Walnuts.
- High in Omega-3s. A lot of people in modern diets don’t get enough Omega-3s, which are very good for our health. Walnuts have more omega-3s than any other nut. (See other sources of plant-based Omega-3s at My Plant-Based Omega-3 Fatty Acid Foods!)
- Reduces inflammation. The polyphenols in walnuts reduce inflammation. As well as the Omega-3s, magnesium and arginine.
- High in antioxidants. Walnuts have higher antioxidant levels than any other popular nut.
- Reduced risk of cancers. Studies have shown that walnuts may reduce certain cancers.
- Helps manage weight. Walnuts have been found to decrease appetite and hunger in overweight persons. They also had increased brain activity in the region which helped them to resist tempting foods.
- Help with diabetes. Diabetes patients who consumed walnut oil saw a lowering in blood sugar levels.
- Improves gut health. Those consuming walnuts had an increase in good bacteria found in the gut.
- May improve blood pressure. Some studies have shown that walnuts might be successful in lowering blood pressure levels.
- Improved brain health. Test-tube studies have shown a decrease in inflammation in the brain from walnuts. Also, mice with Alzheimer’s saw significant improvement after eating walnuts over a period of time. Finally, there have been links to walnuts and improved brain processing and memory.
- Improves reproductive health in males. Males eating walnuts saw improvements in sperm quality and other measurements.
- Lowers cholesterol. Those eating walnuts saw an improvement in cholesterol levels.
As you can see, there are tons of health benefits to eating walnuts. You can read more details on Walnut’s health benefits here.
What is the most popular breakfast food in America? It’s eggs.
Since we advocate eating plant-based over animal-based foods, if you are going to eat eggs, it is recommended in the Blue Zones diet to limit their intake to 3 times per week. Also, make the serving sizes moderate as well.
One way to cut down on eggs is to use chia seeds or flax seeds in place of eggs when baking!
You could eat an energy bar for breakfast if you are on the go and in a hurry. The healthiest energy bars I have found are the Lara bars, which have all-natural and plant-based ingredients. Probably the next healthiest I have seen might be the Cliff Bars, but these tend to have a lot of sugar in them and are best if you are very active.
Espressos can be drunk at any time of the day. This can be a pick me up in the morning and an alternative to regular coffee. The good thing is that coffee and espresso have a great amount of healthy antioxidants which are good for our systems. In fact, here are some benefits of espresso
- High in antioxidants. For most Americans, the majority of their antioxidants come from coffee! Espresso contains polyphenols which help fight disease. It also contains hydrocinnamic acids which neutralize free radicals we pick up from air pollution and the environment.
- Lowers the risk of stroke. A study found that the more espresso that was drunk by female patients, the lower the risk of stroke.
- Reduce the risk of diabetes
- Boosts energy and concentration
- Helps memory. Espresso has been shown to boost the retention of information and improve the recall of that information from memory.
Elderberry is a fruit that can be made into a jam, which could then be spread on some Ezekiel bread or other toast for Breakfast.
Entawak or Mentawa is a fruit that could be eaten raw as a breakfast item.
Since the Emu Apple is a commonly eaten raw fruit, it could be consumed at Breakfast.
The Evergreen Huckleberry is a fruit that is a lot of times made into a jam. They are sweet and could also be eaten by themselves or put on top of oatmeal.
The Egg Fruit of Canistel is sweet and can be eaten by itself. It can also be spread onto toast.
The Elephant Apple is sometimes made into jams or juices. Juice can be drunk for breakfast and jam spread on Ezekiel bread or English muffins.
Not as Healthy Breakfast Foods that Start with E
Eggos are famous frozen waffles that can be heated in a toaster for a quick breakfast snack. These can be convenient, but these are the most processed of all the bread choices. A healthier choice would be Ezekiel Bread or English Muffins first. But, it can be a better choice than meat or other common animal-based breakfast foods.
Eclairs are kind of like donuts or long pastries and are filled with crème with chocolate on top. If you are going to eat eclairs, do so in moderation only once in a while as celebratory food.
We have looked at 12 different breakfast foods that start with the letter E. Some of these are much less common and are not something you would think of in a typical American breakfast of sausage, cereal, or eggs, but maybe you found some foods that you didn’t know about until now!
A lot of these can be found in the list of What is a fruit that starts with the letter E?
Also, check out snacks that start with E for great snack options.
Lance has been passionate about the plant-based diet and we have been following a whole food plant-based diet for over 5 years. We focus on health, natural healing, weight management, animal rights, and the health of the planet and environment by focusing on whole plant-based foods and sustainable practices.
Learn more at the About Me page and follow on social media at the links below.